20.12.08

JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME

I finally heard from the restaurant in Florida (Hurricane Grill & Wings) that is expanding and needs me to mural the new walls to match work I had done there a few years ago. I'll be heading down there in a few days.
Hope I've got my pictures straight (I did six of their restaurants altogether), I think this is part of one of the walls that is being removed in order to expand into the property next door.
These are just a couple of shots from around the rest of the room....notice in the picture with the flags the hurricane brewing in the distance. Thats real bamboo wainscot below the mural. The tromp l'oeil wood posts now have light sconces hanging on them.
I really had fun working on these restaurants even though sometimes the working conditions were a bit challenging. Typical construction site conditions..no running water which meant (as she blushes) no plumbing of any kind, some with no electricity, which meant of course no AC, not to mention having to work in unlit rooms. This one lit only by the light coming from the front window.
ANNNNDD.........part of the time it (the window) got covered up because of a hurricane threat!
But still I enjoyed it..... well (sigh).......... all the way up until they told me they decided to switch to every mural artists nightmare......... wallpaper murals for the rest of their franchises! It broke my heart.

Also while I'm in Florida I'll be doing a bit of work for the new owner of another restaurant I had done work in a couple of years ago. At the time it was called Tackey Joe's, the new name eludes me, but they're switching to a Hawaiian theme so some tweaking needs to be done.
Not a very good picture, it was taken before I learned more about taking and saving photographs.

And finally..........I received a call from Frank McKinney's office letting me know that some adjustments need to be made to the main elevator mural I recently finished for them (or so I thought).
It seems the height of the elevator shaft was not measured correctly. Lesson: always insist on taking your own measurements. The canvas is too long, so I need to redo some of the artwork in the sky.....bring the moon and constellations down lower so they'll be visible.
I'll also be able to take a final picture of the service elevator mural. That is after I correct an error that I made......one of the panels shrunk in width by about an inch and a half.....another mural artists nightmare. Lesson 2: always add a couple of inches all around to your work to allow for such things. I thought I'd added enough extra, but........not. Fortunately the paper hanger filled in the area with some extra canvas, and I will just need to paint it in to match. There are benefits to painting on canvas, but there are also some pitfalls....be careful.
I can't wait to see all three panels installed, I really like this mural.

No comments:

Post a Comment