2.2.09

First Mural Offering

This is my first 'mini' mural offering on Etsy ($600.). It measures approximately 5' wide x 6.5' high. (sorry it's showing a little dark here).
Its intended to be hung and framed directly on the wall in a child's room. What I like about this, is that its appropriate for a wide age group. Its not so baby-ish that you'd have to put it away in just a year or two, but yet it does have the fuzzy elements with the squirrel and rabbit that allow it to work in an infants nursery. I'm not a real fan of exaggerated or cartoon-ish depictions of the real world when it comes to presenting art to children.
It is a 'painted' print of an original mural I did a few years ago.
I've mentioned this company in a previous post, Cat Studios. They are a company located in West Palm Beach, Fl. where you can have prints made, but not just with inks.....you can have a print made using actual paint. This is the print being made.
I've had a couple of works copied this way, I love that it's paint on canvas, not ink on vinyl or paper or even ink on canvas. And although you do have to go back and do some hand detailing to bring back some of the detail, and take note, the colors will not be exactly the same as the original, I love the process. Not to mislead, the original painting was actually much brighter...wow...way brighter.
And although you can go back and brighten up the print by hand, I like the way this print came out. The softness and moodiness of the colors and some of the edges give it a more ethereal feel. Its difficult to see here, but I have retouched some elements of the mural.....the butterflies for example are actually brighter than they're showing here and appear to pop off the mural. I also removed the miniature birdhouses that were hanging on the skinny tree in the foreground.
What most artists use this resource for 'IS' for underpainting, you can not expect an exact copy of your work using this technique and it works best with larger paintings.
My second offering from the mini mural collection I'm thinking will be copies of this...
And I'm hoping to be able to offer it in different colors. How fun to have a painted print, hand retouched, of a mural that you know is hanging in a 30 million dollar mansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment