17.5.09

You'll notice in the right side bar I've added a policy clause....I needed to. After spending two days preparing for a project that I had no guarantee of being hired for, I had to ask myself, "what are you doing?" I've only been asked a couple of times in thirteen years to submit a bid for a mural job, and I'm pretty sure I got the job each time so I never really thought about it before. But now, especially with the slow economy, giving my time away on a chance, well it just seemed stupid. That feeling had me stop working on the sketch for this project about three quarters of the way through, and letting what I had done speak for my competency. But of course it wasn't really about my competency, it was about the lowest bid. And there is obviously someone out there who needs the money more than I do, cause although I gave a quote at about half of what it should have been for a 9'x 25' mural of Noah's Ark (all those animals!), someone else was even lower. I've now become an advocate of charging for consultations and sketches in bidding situations.
Want to see the incomplete sketch :-)? They wanted cartoon-y. There were more animals to add, and a Noah of course, and an extension on the left with more foliage. Oh well.....would have been fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment