1.9.09

Chatham Pen Works

I meant to post about this person a while ago, Yussef Hyman. When I was in the process of moving, I was giving a lot of stuff away that I couldn't take with me. One of those items was my most favorite work table...thick solid pine with two large drop leaves....it was a perfect fit for my tiny apartment.
Anyway, it was Yussef who got the table, he answered my ad on Craigslist. As he was struggling to get the massive table apart for a more manageable transport, I asked him if he was a carpenter (he had a LOT of tools). Turns out he turns wood, and uses that skill to make one of a kind pens, pencils, key chains, etc. I suddenly had a vision of my large table being turned into a thousand pens and sawdust....lol. I was shocked when he reached in his pocket and pulled out three pens for me to choose one from as a gift for the table. My choice....
The wood is its natural color and called Yellowheart, its from Brazil.

How about this one, African blackwood and 24k gold. Got someone special in your life? This pen and pencil set is only $40! Stunning.

The one below is made from Sapele, it's an exotic African hardwood from the mahogany family, often called Gold Coast Cedar. I just think it is so beautiful and elegant.You can see more of Yussef's work on his website . Bookmark his site so you have it handy for Christmas shopping.....remember all those folks that have everything already? the hard to buy for?.....I promise you they don't have anything like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment