22.10.09

Learn To Be Objective About Your Work

Very exciting....I met with a client yesterday whom I had done work for a couple of years ago....they're in a new home. I was actually more excited for her than I was about getting some work, its a beautiful home. As I was touring the house, going from one magnificent room to another admiring the grandeur, we entered the master bath and I'm pretty sure the expression on my face changed suddenly and noticeably. I was looking at probably the worst faux marble work I've ever seen. I asked her if that was something she had hired someone to do before I commented on it, my intention to tell her to ask for her money back. Turns out the previous owner had, had it done.........I'm hoping he got his money back. OK...I'm not a faux artist, I wasn't there for that reason, however I did suggest it needed to be worked on.....I did not want her or her friends and neighbors to think that's what faux marble should look like. Sadly this painter had also done this to all the walls, floor to ceiling, in the powder room as well.....not pretty.

Faux painting is an art, its not about sponges and rags. Below?.......some examples of what you should expect when hiring a faux finish artists. And artists?.........be objective about your skill level...study other artists work and compare them to yours....I know its exciting to be offered a commission, but remember you'll want referrals and more work......you won't get them with inferior work.

From Maxwell Studios
From Davidwallart.com

C.A.P., LLC

Mike Macneil

No comments:

Post a Comment