7.12.09

Repositional Art

OK......I confess.....I've never heard of a hand waxer. I got a phone call from an artist the other day and she was talking about something she had painted that was hung up every holiday season and mentioned wax. Before I could say huh??? say what??? we were off on a different topic. So I decided to snoop around via google and finally discovered what she was talking about. Simple really....paint something on cambric cloth and use a hand waxer to apply wax to the back....find directions here
This is a mural painted by Sheri Hoeger, The Mad Stencilist. All of the farm animals were painted on cambric and affixed with an art waxer. I've got to try this, sure sounds better than using wallpaper paste or spray adhesive.
To change the subject.......I'm once again struggling with whether or not to put a pricing page on my website.......some say yes, some say no don't do it.
I was contacted via email from someone interested in having a mural painted......a jungle theme, and they referenced the jungle mural from my website. The only direction I got was that they
wanted something uncrowded/not too busy. Because this potential job was going to be two hours away I wanted to get as much information as I could and possibly photos of the room emailed to me to avoid unnecessary trips and costs. So, when asked how large?........I don't know. When asked how many animals?........I don't know. When asked one wall or all walls?..........I don't know. When asked what is your budget?..........."flexible". Uh??.....whats flexible mean?? I was getting a bad feeling about this. With what little information I got from this person I gave them an estimate on doing 3 or 4 animals and just light foliage, and whether it was scattered around the room or concentrated in one area the cost would be no less than $800. The one above was priced at $2200. I thought ....a great deal for them, right? A couple of days work, 2 hour drive back and forth each day....I can spend a whole day working on one animal (they didn't want cartoon-y animals).
Well, I'm guessing they soon figured out what their budget was cause I never heard back from them. I hate playing cat and mouse games!
Maybe we all need to start painting like this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment