29.8.08

WHATS A MURALIST TO DO?

Aside from my mural work at The Hospital of The University of Pennsylvania (I love working there), other mural work has been slow in coming...its hard being the new kid on the block. So during this slightly stressful time when the bills are due, but the pockets are empty, I've decided it may be time to resurrect some of my old skills and see if I can't make them work for me......go back to my roots so to speak, at least during the more quiet times between mural jobs.
When I started painting it was on used pieces of furniture....its actually how I taught myself to paint.
Its how I learned the art of Trompe L'oeil. This table went to one of those restaurants that also sell anything thats in it, including the furniture. The owner told me it would frustrate some of the folks with 'older' eyesight.....they would inadvertently try to pick something up.And how I learned about the impressionist painters...love, love, love Degas.
Its also how I got hooked on power tools. Sometimes the pieces I would find needed some TLC, so I got pretty skilled at using tools and even taught myself to make simple pieces of furniture.
I've turned old beds into benches....everything on the seat of this bench is painted......love the trowel. I made this for a charity auction.
I've made simple little bookends. I had found a set like this in a thrift shop, took it apart and used it as a template to make more.
I've made folding screens using bi-fold door panels hinged together like this one,
but I also taught myself to make the simpler frame and cloth panel ones too, and in several different styles.
I've painted on window screens......
and I've painted on scraps of wood (actual size4'x5').
So maybe tomorrow there should be a trip to the local thrift shops, always fun.......or maybe Home Depot, nice things to look at there ;-). Anyone know of a cool local shop that would love to have some hand painted items to sell?

No comments:

Post a Comment