8.10.09

My Newest Challenge

Most of us are familiar with this photo, its been traveling the internet for quite some time.
I've been asked by the owner of The Old Key Lime House in Lantana, FL to do something similar .......a challenge indeed.
Painting portraits difficult enough......painting them on tile?.....even more so. My concerns?....first the restaurant is right on the water which means lots of humidity and,
I've had limited success with painting on tile, even with paint made just for tile, the staying power questionable. Another concern...the grout lines interfering with the image. So, how to accomplish this......what to use, and how to get around the plumbing coming out of the wall, which isn't an issue in the above photo.
After discussing several options with the restaurant manager, it was decided I would paint the portraits on luan board. My plan is to paint them and cut out their profiles. I will have to cut the portraits in order to fit them around the pipe coming through the wall, but hopefully when I bring the two pieces back together around the pipe I'll be able to conceal the seam. I'll attach them to the wall with liquid nails (I think?).
Yes, that's a portrait of Bin Laden I was asked to do a while ago......ahhhhhh, the glamorous life of an artist, painting urinals. It has stood up well against the water and urine but I can't protect it from someone intent on scratching it off.
This restaurant is where I also painted these...

No comments:

Post a Comment