15.5.11

Today I must get back to the dog portrait window screen (the rents coming due:) cause yesterday I focused on getting another large painting started...this next one will be a blue heron. Then I spent the evening seeing..... how small can I paint? I've known about aceo paintings for a couple of years and even tried painting tiny in the past but I thought I'd give it another whirl. I did a bit of snooping around online first to see how the world of aceo paintings have evolved, and man have they. I saw a listing for one that was priced at $495 :-0 my goodness I thought, I've got to see this. Check this out.....
And another for $295.......
Keep in mind, aceo's are 3.5"x 2.5" and you usually see them listed for sale for between $1 and $20 on places like ebay, and most are absolutely dreadful. These are the work of David Coalburn, a self taught Alabama artist. You can see more of his work here.
Hard to post this after seeing his work but I'll give myself a break and say this is my first serious attempt and, I could use some finer brushes for sure. Most of my brushes are geared towards mural work and.....my canvas was even smaller 2"x 3"! This is a Northern Parula. I wonder where mine would fall on the price scale? Hmmm....don't think I'm quite at the half a grand level yet....lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment