17.9.08

Whoa......Spa Day 1

This is very challenging. The initial challenge is that your first view of the wall is as you come through the door which makes giving convincing dimension to the architectural elements really tough. As soon as you enter the room there is a lounge type chair right in the center of the space and there is only enough room to walk around the chair. The room is probably only about 5-6 feet wide, so there really is no main viewing spot (except from the chair I guess, but then again you'll be reclining), and I always feel murals (especially architectural ones with scenes) are more convincing viewed from a distance......theres none of that in this room.
This is what was on the wall when I got there, started by another artist but it wasn't going in the direction the owners wanted.
I tried to take a photo to show you what I mean about proper perspective for viewing (below). This is taken from the doorway as you enter the room. I just started drawing in my design...I decided to just go ahead and use one point perspective (like in the sketch). If you look at the base that the column is sitting on, you wouldn't be able to see that left (inside) side of the base from the doorway if it were real...so it really looks odd. But of course when you walk into the room and view it from the center.....all falls into place. But like I mentioned there will be a big ol chair sitting there, so there is really no good spot to view this properly....so I just aim to make it pretty and as convincing as possible.

I'll work on camouflaging the inside edge of the post that the column sits on and the base caps with vines and foliage, giving little glimpses of them, but hiding their edges....maybe use a trompe l'oeil potted plant sitting in front of the one on the right...the left side should be ok.
I'm looking forward to trying to make the depth of the patio look convincing ....yikes.
End of day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment